[PLUG] Temperature and routers...

Joe Pruett joey at clean.q7.com
Thu Dec 10 15:14:58 UTC 2009

> Every time we get a heavy rain and my internet craps out in my office I
> think that I should bury a cable run.  To date I've been concerned about
> lightning discharges, which can (I am told, maybe) be picked up by long
> runs and cause problems.  The best information I've been able to get is
> that common commercial practice with a long run between buildings is
> optical fiber, and optical to Ethernet transceivers are spendy.

optical transcievers aren't very expensive (< $100), and fiber cable was
actually cheaper than copper for a while (not sure if it still is).  and
that is certainly the way to get long distance and rf/lightning immunity.
you just need to be careful about how you get the cable run through a
conduit, you can't pull on fiber like you can copper.