[PLUG] Throttled SATA (was) T60 QXGA

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Fri Dec 11 07:37:28 UTC 2009

On Thu, Dec 10, 2009 at 11:14:51PM -0800, John Jason Jordan wrote:
> I have a T61 and I recently discovered that the internal Intel SATA controller
> is SATA-2, but Lenovo throttled it to 100 MB/s. The official explanation is to
> ensure compatibility with PATA drives in the Ultrabay, in case anyone does
> this. In reality, the controller would handle the issue and throttling the
> SATA-2 controller was unnecessary. Another bad design decision. Nevertheless, I
> am stuck with a recently acquired new SATA-2 drive that runs at only 100 GB/s.
>
> This does not affect later Thinkpads, and I don't know if it affects the T60.

Something to look at.  I've also heard stories that some Thinkpads
have slowdown problems with some very large SATA drives.  I'm booted
to my distro, installed on a Seagate SATA-2 500GB drive, and I will
run speed tests in the morning (a cheesy C program that writes lots
of bytes to a file, then reads lots of bytes from the file).

Keith