[PLUG] We need more ... Local group open house

chris (fool) mccraw gently at gmail.com
Fri Dec 11 18:01:07 UTC 2009

On Fri, Dec 11, 2009 at 09:44, Mike Connors <mconnors1 at gmail.com> wrote:
> chris (fool) mccraw wrote:
>> the winter coders' social was a great deal of fun and happened on tuesday
>> night...make sure to put the summer one on your calendar for cross-interest-group mixin'

> Are there many novice devs at these events? I was a Comp Sci major once upon a time, a time of
> Assembler, Basic, Pascal, and Fortran. But those dinosaurs are extinct now in the modern world
> of object oriented and interpreted langs...

i'm no rockstar coder, compsci degree notwithstanding.  there were
actually people there who weren't coders at all--and not just
significant others.  everyone there was some kinda geek though, even
if not a Geek of CompSci.  but it's a very welcoming crowd.  the beer
was free (thanks http://www.myemma.com!) and the potluck food was
divine.

i think i had the most fun playing word games, not talking shop,
though daniel johnson and i did discuss methods for heating his house
via some kind of supercomputing grant for a fair while =)