[PLUG] Progress Report -- Desktop Sharing on Ubuntu, Not

Tim Bruce - PLUG timb at tbruce.com
Fri Dec 11 18:21:32 UTC 2009

On Fri, December 11, 2009 10:02, Tim Wescott wrote:
> I wrote quite a while ago with problems with sharing my desktop under
> Ubuntu.  It looks like it ought to work, I have the remote server set up
> so that it should share the desktop all the way, yet the best I can get
> (and intermittently at that) is a view of the desktop that happens to be
> open on my machine -- this is not helpful for doing the occasional bit
> of work on the computer in my office when I'm physically up in the house.
>
> Someone suggested using ssh.  This works after a fashion -- I can 'ssh
> -X' into the remote machine, and if I have remembered to turn off
> Thunderbird I can get my mail.  Trying to do simulation runs with Scilab
> is a disaster -- Scilab uses OpenGL, and either the way that it uses it
> or something about OpenGL disagrees with my laptop, and it will do so
> through an ssh connection even worse than on the laptop itself.
>
> I recently upgraded both of the machines in question to 9.10, in hopes
> of improvement -- it made no substantial change (although I now have OOo
> 3.1, so it's not a total washout).
>
> Remote desktop connections with Windows, at least on a fast network, are
> easy and seamless for the user.  It sure would be nice if Linux could
> offer the same thing.
>
> --
> Tim Wescott
> Wescott Design Services
> Voice: 503-631-7815
> Cell:  503-349-8432
> http://www.wescottdesign.com

Have you looked at wrapping VNC inside of an ssh connection?  You can use
something like:

ssh 5912:timslaptop:5901 tb at laptop.local

and then connect using VNC and connecting to localhost:5912.

I'm going off the top of my head for the commands, so you might have to
play with it a bit.  Of course, this does require you to run VNC Server on
your destination computer.

Tim
--
Timothy J. Bruce