[PLUG] bonnie, was Throttled SATA

chris (fool) mccraw gently at gmail.com
Fri Dec 11 21:33:50 UTC 2009

On Fri, Dec 11, 2009 at 11:37, Keith Lofstrom <keithl at kl-ic.com> wrote:

> The main difference seems related to the drive rotation speed.
> I'd be curious about other folk's results.

a thing to consider--did you tune with hdparm at all?  i detune my
(bedroom, caseless) fileserver drives so they'll be quieter (hdparm
-M), but i've gotten severely enhanced (like, double) results after
playing with some of the other settings.  i guess i have no idea if
they have as much effect on SATA drives as they did on PATA drives,
but i bet they still have some effect.  might be worthwhile if you're
going to the trouble of doing comparative studies anyway =)

sadly i don't have enough free disk space on this machine to run a
test right now :/