[PLUG] What is POE?

MJang mike at mommabears.com
Sat Dec 12 02:14:00 UTC 2009

On Fri, 2009-12-11 at 16:31 -0600, Fred James wrote:
snip

> > Just beware that not all PoE powered devices are IEEE Standard 802.3af
> > PoE.  Lots of devices I deal with are something called "passive" poe
> > where there is no handshaking protocols, and the end devices are
> > typically expecting less than the "standard" 48V.

Which suggests PoE systems aren't all to one standard. I know they come
in different speeds, and have suspected (haven't researched) whether
different PoE adapters of the same rated speed are compatible.

> Any disadvantage/corruption from running power over the Ethernet
> cable?

In addition, they can't be connected to surge suppressors, as the signal
used over the power line is filtered by such.

However, I have a pair of 200MBps PoEs at home, and it doesn't matter
that they're connected to different circuit breakers. Though as I
understand it, 85MBps PoE connections over different circuit breakers is
slower than 10Mbps Ethernet.

Thanks,
Mike