[PLUG] How many of us write small scripts?

Larry Brigman larry.brigman at gmail.com
Sat Dec 12 21:50:11 UTC 2009

On Sat, Dec 12, 2009 at 1:26 PM, Keith Lofstrom <keithl at kl-ic.com> wrote:

> Many PLUG members seem to spend most of their time in GUI-land.
> Which is good, if all the visual metaphors are consistent and the
> right tools are available.   But it is much harder to automate
> small hacks that way - you become dependent on others who are
> skilled with gtk or qt and c++, who spend days to months polishing
> their creations with check boxes and options.

I done some programming in these areas.

> So, I'm curious ... how many of us know enough to write quick shell
> scripts?  How many of us know how to write quick 5 minute GUI hacks?

Most of my work is in scripts.  I do other programming when needed.
Not much GUI

> Perhaps I can help teach some scripting, and learn some GUI hacking
> from others.  The real value of open source systems is that they
> empower us to create, not just consume.

Don't know what I can lend to the group until the discussion get
narrower.  There are probably better script
jockeys than I but I get the job done when needed.  Current work is
scripts inside of Makefiles for build
automation and rpm creation.