[PLUG] How many of us write small scripts?

Mike Connors mconnors1 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 12 22:06:44 UTC 2009

Keith Lofstrom wrote:
> So, I'm curious ... how many of us know enough to write quick shell
> scripts?  How many of us know how to write quick 5 minute GUI hacks?

I can do simple things in BASH (pipelining commands) and I understand conditional logic such
as for while next if. I've attempted to learn Perl a few times but to no avail. I've done
a few tutorials with Ruby & Python.

> Perhaps I can help teach some scripting, and learn some GUI hacking
> from others.  The real value of open source systems is that they
> empower us to create, not just consume.
I'd be greatly appreciative of anything I could learn about scripting for general
Sys Admin tasks. Although I don't have much to offer in exchange...