[PLUG] How many of us write small scripts?

Andrew Jackman kd7nyq at gmail.com
Sun Dec 13 01:50:09 UTC 2009

On Sat, Dec 12, 2009 at 2:26 PM, Keith Lofstrom <keithl at kl-ic.com> wrote:
> So, I'm curious ... how many of us know enough to write quick shell
> scripts?  How many of us know how to write quick 5 minute GUI hacks?

At work, production crews can't program, but [shell] scripting is not
"real" programming by department standards.  As much as I'd like to
truly do some application programming to make my job easier, scripting
is all I can get away with for now.  I would be miserable without the
shell and the ease with which I can automate tasks.

I've written the following (as examples):
DOS scripts generators
directory tree generators with file count statistics
size limited file copies (e.g. 300MB at a time)

I was hired because I knew how to manipulate DOS, but that's like
getting hired to cauterize wounds with a steel poker.  bash (and other
scripting languages) make life so much more humane!

--
Andrew Jackman
kd7nyq at gmail.com

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail message, including any
contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized
review, use, disclosure, or distribution is prohibited. If you are not
destroy all copies of the original message.  All your base are belong
to us.