[PLUG] Embedded Linux Project Ideas

Andrew Jackman kd7nyq at gmail.com
Sun Dec 13 19:21:05 UTC 2009

On Sun, Dec 13, 2009 at 10:07 AM, Scott Garman <sgarman at zenlinux.com> wrote:
> As I mentioned in a previous post, this email thread is intended to
> track potential embedded Linux projects to pursue. Below I will list to
> the best of my recollection/notes what people came up with at the
> meeting, but we are also welcoming ideas from people who did not attend
> the meeting.

This is a project for company use and doesn't have much
public/community application, but I would gladly appreciate
development assistance, paid or otherwise.  No official name yet; I've
been referring to it as the Moonman Delivery Management System.

It has three components:
Field Computers
Data Manager
Web Server

The field computers will either be Hawkboard or Beagleboard SBCs
running linux with a GPS Receiver and a Barcode Scanner.  Their job is
to be issued a chunk of the master database (or whole thing depending
on space) and then to direct the operator to various destinations
using audio prompts.  No visual display.  All user input will be done
by entering command codes via the barcode scanner.  When a delivery is
made, the operator scans the deliver command code, the item, and the
customer ID from the delivery roster (printed off the web, via CUPS,
etc).  Think of it is a newspaper delivery on steroids.  The cost of
the items beind delivered and the possible speed increases justify the
cost of the system.

The job of the Data Manager is to link up with the field computers and
to update the master database with what the field computer collected
or modified.  As a side, this could also include GPS mapping
information collected while wandering about.  Linking should
(hopefully) be done via the device USB port on the SBC.

The Web Server will provide a slick user interface for the
technologically challenged.

I'll be doing the development myself, but I'll be publishing on
sf.net.  If someone wants to help with the coding (like web, which I
just can't do) and get paid for it, make me an offer.  I'm currently
waiting on the delivery of a Hawkboard to start the brunt of the
debugging and testing.

Thanks!

--
Andrew Jackman
kd7nyq at gmail.com

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail message, including any
contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized
review, use, disclosure, or distribution is prohibited. If you are not
destroy all copies of the original message.  All your base are belong
to us.