[PLUG] How many of us write small scripts?

wes plug at the-wes.com
Sun Dec 13 20:20:35 UTC 2009

On Sat, Dec 12, 2009 at 2:05 PM, John Jason Jordan <johnxj at comcast.net>wrote:

> On Sat, 12 Dec 2009 13:26:30 -0800
> Keith Lofstrom <keithl at kl-ic.com> dijo:
>
> >Perhaps I can help teach some scripting, and learn some GUI hacking
> >from others.  The real value of open source systems is that they
> >empower us to create, not just consume.
>
> I would like to know about basic shell scripting. At the moment I know next
> nothing.
>
> I would attend a class for beginners. Having said that, maybe it would be
> possible to do a web-based class. Moodle? Exercises for the student to do?
> professor who will check for questions several times a day? Or does this
> already exist somewhere on the web? If not, could the creation of such a
> web-based instruction program become a PLUG project?

http://www.freegeek.org/volunteer/classes/

"*Bash Scripting:* A six-week course on Tuesday evenings covering basic and
intermediate scripting in the bash shell. We will examine a file with about
15 lines of code together each night, modify the code, run it, and come up
with our own scripts. We will also get to know the “Advanced Bash Scripting
Guide” and the Gnu “Bash Reference Manual” in some depth and learn to
research and solve our own programming problems. User projects are
encouraged."

-wes