[PLUG] Nautilus sees files, but cp does not

Robert Miesen robert.miesen at gmail.com
Mon Dec 14 01:52:05 UTC 2009

Have you tried running an ls -a command in the affected directory as root?
If running the command as root reveals the hidden files, it is possible that
the directory containing the two troublesome files doesn't have read
permissions set for non-group members. If that is the case, running chmod
o+r <yourHomeDir>/Desktop as root should fix the problem. Alternatively, you
could either change the group membership of the folder in question (with the
-R option enabled if you want to apply group membership changes recursively)
or add yourself to the group the folder is a member of. If you choose the
last option, you'll need to logout and login for your permissions to become
effective.

Hope this helps.

On Sun, Dec 13, 2009 at 5:35 PM, John Jason Jordan <johnxj at comcast.net>wrote:

> On Sun, 13 Dec 2009 19:42:57 -0500
> Robert Citek <robert.citek at gmail.com> dijo:
>
> >On Sun, Dec 13, 2009 at 4:30 PM, John Jason Jordan <johnxj at comcast.net>
> wrote:
> >> That's where things are weird. The cp command does not even see the
> files
> >> that have the X on them. Using tab for the above three files displays
> only
> >> the middle one, as though the others don't exist. And I'm doing it as
> root.
> >> Man cp doesn't tell me anything useful.
> >
> >Can you post the output from listing the folder?  For example:
> >
> >foo={absolute path to ~/Desktop on Jaunty folder}
> >ls -la $foo/App*
>
> No, the ls command doesn't see the files with the X on them in Nautilus
> either.
> Neither does mv. As far as I can tell they are completely invisible to any
> terminal command.
>
> However, in the process of installing Fedora 11 I installed the Xfce4
> desktop
> as well as the Gnome desktop that I normally use. Because of issues with
> Gnome
> (abundantly documented here) I wanted something else that I could log into
> in
> case Gnome blew up on me again. Xfce installed Thunar file manager. And
> root
> was able to launch Thunar. And Thunar as root was happy to drag and drop
> the
> obstreperous files.
>
> I'd still like to know WTH is going on with the terminal window. The files
> really are there. I am not making this up.

Luck is believing you are lucky.
   -- Tennessee Williams