[PLUG] QXGA T60 looks fantastic

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Mon Dec 14 03:16:32 UTC 2009

I finally got time to put the 15 inch QXGA (2048x1536) screen
in the T60.  I wussed out and used the original WinXP with the
$30 Powerstrip program to write the new EDID to the display.
I couldn't find enough documentation on the Linux i2c-tools
to feel comfortable with risking a display on them.  Maybe on
the next machine.

The windoze drive is safely in storage, and a 500GB Linux
drive is in the machine, working fine.  I am typing this email
on it.  The characters look like they are out of a high
resolution laser printer.  Now to copy all the files from
my old T30, and build another T60 QXGA machine for my wife.

BTW, I name my machines after Nobel Prize winning physicists.
This one is named "kao", after Charles Kuen Kao, 2009 winner
"for groundbreaking achievements concerning the transmission
of light in fibers for optical communication".

The whole package cost approximately $750, with a used T60 from
Ebay, A 500GB Seagate SATA drive (plus a spare) from Frys,  and
a new IdTech IAQX10N panel from BIGeSTOCK.com .  An Ultrabay 2nd
hard drive tray is slowly making its way from Hong Kong, apparently
by sampan.

Now to order more AC adapters, and a couple of port extenders.

Keith