[PLUG] Nautilus sees files, but cp does not

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Mon Dec 14 05:15:41 UTC 2009

On Sun, 13 Dec 2009 20:53:49 -0800
John Jason Jordan <johnxj at comcast.net> dijo:

>A corrupted filesystem would certainly explain the random invisible files. I
>wonder if there is something stronger than fsck -f. But having said that,
>Thunar had no problem with the "invisible" files. I wonder if I can install a
>different terminal.
>
>I'd go off to see if I can find a Gnome/Nautilus bugtracker, except that I get
>the same strange results from the command line (gnome-terminal).
>
>The more I investigate this the more haywire it seems.

OK, I installed a different terminal. And it sees all three of the example
files I posted earlier, using the ls command or any other command. As root it
also allows me to copy them to wherever I want.

It shows the permissions for the two offending files as -rw------- and for the
one that Nautilus lets me copy as -rw-r--r--. The Nautilus Properties dialog
box shows no differences for the permissions, but it is a GUI that does not
display all possible information. If gnome-terminal would display the offending
files it probably would have shown the differing permissions as well.

I am not sure if gnome-terminal's failing to display the files is by design
or on accident. Either way, it is wrong. If the file is there it should list it.