[PLUG] Nautilus sees files, but cp does not

Tony Rick tonyr42 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 15 01:34:27 UTC 2009

On Mon, Dec 14, 2009 at 10:56 AM, Patrick J. Timlick

> The 1000 1000 are the id numbers of the owner and group that the owns the
> file.  Since it is a number, and not your name, "jjj", that will be a
> problem.  You should do a "sudo chown jjj.jjj * "after you move them to
> your
> home directory.
>
> Files with spaces and other special characters can be a problem.  You might
> try ls A*.pdf and then add characters after the A until you get it down to
> the one file you want.

For reasons I have not researched, but are certain to exist, RH family
distributions (eg, Fedora) assign uid/gid for new users starting at 500,
while Debian family distributions (eg Ubuntu) start at 1000.  My Karmic
uid/gid is 1000/1000, while my Fedora uid/gid is 500/500.  This adds a
hiccup when migrating from one family to the other and retaining files from
your home directory, or any files that you own anywhere.

As a point of (maybe) interest, OS X assigns the first new user to (uid/gid)
501/20, where 20 is group 'staff'.

- tony