[PLUG] Nano 2 back ordered...

Michael Robinson plug_1 at robinson-west.com
Tue Dec 15 03:07:46 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2009-12-14 at 13:02 -0800, Russell Senior wrote:
> M> I tried to order two of them thinking I can link them together
> M> between the two buildings with WEP turned on.  Well, turns out that
> M> invictuswireless.com can't fill my order.  I asked how long the
> M> delay might be and if the shipping charges can be reduced since it
> M> will take longer to get it to me.  I missed the phone call
> M> unfortunately, but I got an email message.
>
> Ubiquiti gear is great, but the one thing they haven't worked out is
> their supply chain.  You are often waiting on a boat from china or
> somewhere.  There are a good half-dozen or so places that sell these
> things and they tend to all run out at about the same time.  Invictus
> had run out (someone ordered 100 of them) the day I placed my order.
>
> Whatever Invictus tells you about the delay, it'll be a wild guess.
> Ubiquiti's shipping forecasts have a history of slipping.  It's also
> not really Invictus's fault, so frankly I wouldn't expect a discount
> just because you are inconvenienced.

I originally asked for 3 day shipping, but I talked on the phone
with Invictus and asked for normal shipping instead.  He agreed
that that makes more sense given the delay.  I could have canceled
the order, but he didn't know anything about ethernet over power
line where I'm concerned about how EOPL affects the electrical
wiring.  A point to point link using 2 Nano 2's should work
beautifully.  If only I didn't have to wait 2-3 weeks for the
shipment from China to come in...

The nice thing about going the wireless route is that I'll be able
to roam between the buildings and be on line if I want when the
weather is nice.

Someone suggested I could buy a cheap USB wireless card, but this
route even though it is a bit expensive has a greater chance of
working.  Getting 2 Nano's, I don't have to worry about Linux
compatibility.

I will hopefully hear about the order again in 2 weeks, but if I
don't I don't.