[PLUG] Laptop vx Lawnmower batteries

Andrew Jackman kd7nyq at gmail.com
Tue Dec 15 23:17:32 UTC 2009

On Tue, Dec 15, 2009 at 4:05 PM, Robert Miesen <robert.miesen at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm no a hardware hacker, but I would almost bet money that a lawnmower
> battery is not going to be built to the same quality specs as that of a
> laptop battery. For example, I suspect that a lawnmower battery doesn't
> necessarily need to have the same strong voltage and ampre output regulation
> that a laptop battery does.

If you're getting it for low power equipment, like laptops, netbooks,
or (heaven forbid!) SBCs, 12V and 5V regulators are cheap and easily
to use (http://tinyurl.com/yas4y33).  This is exactly what we're
planning to use in our delivery computers -- 5V regulators in the box
with a pigtail to the power source.

Preferred pigtail connectors: Anderson Power Poles
(http://www.powerwerx.com/anderson-powerpoles/).

If you're carrying a laptop bag, anyway, I don't see why this can't be
practical.  I like the whole idea of being able to swap out batteries
without shutting down, too.

--
Andrew Jackman
kd7nyq at gmail.com

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail message, including any
contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized
review, use, disclosure, or distribution is prohibited. If you are not
destroy all copies of the original message.  All your base are belong
to us.