[PLUG] automate replacing resolv.conf file at startup

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Fri Dec 18 22:20:39 UTC 2009

On Fri, 18 Dec 2009, Mike Connors wrote:

> I manually copy a resolv.bak file to resolv.conf to overwrite Comcast's
> DNS servers and their bulls*&! domain search crap. However, it would be
> great to automate this.

   When I travel and use a hotel or coffee shop connection /etc/resolv.conf
is re-written to their specs ... automaticlaly. I keep a backup copy of the
default file, /etc/resolv.conf.office, and just copy that to
/etc/resolv.conf when I return. You can put that in /etc/rc.d/rc.local, or
write a shell script that does the copy and run it manually as desired.