[PLUG] Comments on double NAT...

Mike Connors mconnors1 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 20 02:47:04 UTC 2009

Michael Robinson wrote:

Web, Goose, and Xerxes are gateway, mail server/proxy, gateway
respectively. This is the original network's means of accessing
the Net.

I think this piece is complicating matters. It seems you've got multiple
NICs these boxes
on different networks? Which in the absence of a router and switch/hub I
understand. But if you could
centralize your routing it would make this a lot less painful.
> In a nutshell, I want to be able to route from the original
> network in Scappoose, it uses black lines in the DIA diagram,
> to a host on the other side of the VPN tunnel implemented by
> the FVX 538.

Original network is 192.168.0.0 / 24?
> There is also the problem of making 192.168.0.x and 192.168.1.x
> link together ( Scappoose side both networks ).

How do you mean?
A router has a leg into both networks so hosts can communicate
across net boundaries?
Or do you mean by putting them on the same network by making the
subnet smaller such as 192.168.0.x / 22
> This problem makes my head hurt.  Renumbering my side may not be
> such a bad idea after all.  I detect a few errors in the HOWTO
> I mentioned by the way.  The hardest part to figure out for
> double nat is what the source nat rule needs to be.
>
> Okay, so the DIA diagram only deals with relevant machines on
> the Scappoose side and does NOT cover the Minnesota side at all.
> Right now, that side is a black box to me.
Okay, so the picture is getting a lot clearer. Thanks!
Unfortunately, I can't seem to open the attachment.
When I attempt to open my box sees it as an ASC file?
I tried to rename it to DIA file.  Dia the sees it as a supported file
type but errors when trying to open it.