[PLUG] Chmod question, before I mess things up

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Sun Dec 20 03:10:59 UTC 2009

On Sat, 19 Dec 2009 18:13:12 -0800 (PST)
wcooley at nakedape.cc dijo:

>> I'm not terribly familiar with permissions, but after reading man
>> chmod and a couple web sites, I think I have figured how to do what
>> I want.
>
>A good way to test things like this is to create yourself a sandbox, so
>that you can find out if what you're planning will screw things up or
>not. You could just make yourself a directory like '/tmp/test', copy
>or create a handful of files there, and then play around. It's a lot
>easier to learn these things with hands-on practice and faster than
>waiting around for responses from a mailing list.

A long time ago I learned the benefits of using ls as a test bed,
especially before doing something like rm or rmdir, and even more
especially when using wildcards.

I have learned a lot, and I now understand the basics. However, I
decided to wait until the Clinic tomorrow.