[PLUG] Help Resizing Windows 7 Partition for Debian Install

Mark Phillips mark at phillipsmarketing.biz
Wed Dec 23 02:28:24 UTC 2009

I have a new Dell Vostro laptop and I want to add Debian to it. It has
Windows 7 Home Premium on it. When I went into the Windows 7 disk manager
all I could get was 1/2 of the C partition - 143 GB for Debian, and it
reserved the other 143 GB for Windows 7, even though it is only using 16GB
of the disk!

Is this some evil trick by Microsoft to keep people from dual booting, or is
there some reason Windows 7 needs all 143 GB for itself when all the files
on the disk amount to 16GB??? What am I missing?

Can I just use gparted to resize the drive the way I want it - 40GB or 60GB
for Windows and the rest for a real operating system like Debian? ;-)

Thanks!

Mark