[PLUG] Transmission v. Vuze

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Thu Dec 24 01:13:46 UTC 2009

On Wed, 23 Dec 2009 14:54:54 -0800
Scott Garman <sgarman at zenlinux.com> dijo:

>John Jason Jordan wrote:
>> So I stopped the torrent in Vuze and launched Transmission.
>> Transmission also failed to get the tracker to respond, but in spite
>> of not getting a response from the tracker, Transmission started
>> downloading the pieces. That was half an hour ago and it has
>> downloaded half the file, at a rate of 200 KB/s.
>
>This isn't really related to your original question, but I've
>frequently encountered problems getting torrent downloads started, and
>find they can hang indefinitely. A workaround that seems to fix this
>pretty consistently is to let transmission start the download, see
>that nothing happens after a minute, and then pause and restart the
>download. That usually gets it going for me.

Thanks to Mike I now understand a bit about DHT. Both Transmission and
Vuze are DHT-enabled, but Transmission does a better job. That is,
Transmission starts the download immediately as soon as it finds
someone in the swarm, even if it cannot get the tracker to respond. I
have downloaded entire files with Transmission without it ever
connecting with the tracker. Vuze does the same thing, but it never
downloads anything from someone in the swarm until it connects with the
tracker. On the other hand, Vuze seems to do a much better job of
connecting with the tracker.

I used Ktorrent for a long time instead of Transmission because it had
a lot more features. However, the recent versions have some nasty bugs
when run in Gnome, so I abandoned it in favor of Transmission. However,
now that I have used Vuze for a couple of days I notice that it is so
similar to Ktorrent that it is uncanny. The user interface is virtually
the same. Unfortunately, it also has a few bugs, although they are not
critical. I'm going to stick with it for a while.