[PLUG] Question About Module Loading

Mark Phillips mark at phillipsmarketing.biz
Fri Dec 25 05:30:05 UTC 2009

I just installed Debian stable (2.6-amd64 kernel) on a machine. I had to
remove the kernel module for the Ethernet card and add a different one. The
new module compiled etc and works. However, I had a problem preventing the
old module from loading. There was no modprobe.conf file, but instead a
directory modprobe.d with a lot of files in it. However, I could not find
the expected alias line with the bad module's name. I finally googled a
solution, and I am curious if this is the new way to disabling a kernel
module:
I created a file in /etc/modprobe.d/ called 00local. That file has one line:
install r8169 /bin/true. This prevented the module r8169 from being loaded.
I grepped all of /etc/ looking for r8169 and could not find where it was
being loaded. I am so confused....

G'night and Happy Holidays to everyone!

Mark