[PLUG] resolve.conf file

Mike Connors mconnors1 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 27 19:46:37 UTC 2009

Carlos Konstanski wrote:
> I hate to be a party pooper, but I still feel that using resolvconf
> and static IPs is a bandaid that will continue to peel off when
> wet. The right thing to do is to get your own DNS and DHCP servers
> (the ones on the DSL router) working properly. Of course these DSL
> modems are notoriously crappy, and it is quite possible that fiddling
> with its configuration will have no effect. That's why I use cable and
> my own linux box as a router/firewall.

I have to say I agree pretty strongly w. Carlos on this. And unlike your
"visiting geek", problems are always interesting to me until things work
the
way that I understand that they should work.

With that said, the config file /etc/dhcp3/dhclient.conf
on Debian should control your DNS destiny...

To the best of my knowledge you have a few options to control what
info you get from the DHCP server when you send a DHCP request.

1. Make sure the following requirement line is commented / deleted:

    #require subnet-mask, domain-name-servers

2. In the "request" stanza below you can remove "domain-name-servers":

    request subnet-mask, broadcast-address, routers,
    *domain-name-servers*, interface-mtu,rfc3442-classless-static-routes,

3. In the event that the above doesn't stop the overwriting of your
resolv.conf file with bad DNS info you can add this prepend statement:

    prepend domain-name-servers 127.0.0.1;

4. You can make the resolv.conf file unchangeable by setting the
    "immutable" attribute:

    chattr +i /etc/resolv.conf

5. Last but not least you could make the resolvoconf script itself
either unreadable
    , rename it, or hack it

   /etc/dhcp3/dhclient-enter-hooks.d/resolvconf