[PLUG] FVX538 and IP assignments...

Michael Robinson plug_1 at robinson-west.com
Mon Dec 28 02:22:48 UTC 2009

The FVX538 has a DHCP server and it works okay, but the addressing
scheme is a random one.  Uge!  Is there any way to fix the IP
addresses and still assign them from the FVX 538?  Can the FVX 538
support dynamic DNS updating so I can name the darn addresses
regardless of what they happen to be at the moment?

I'm trying to use the FVX 538 in a different sort of way.  I
DON'T want to access the Internet through it and I don't want
to be able to.  I DO want to access the systems on it's private
LAN and systems in private LANs connected via tunnel.  I am
also trying to connect the FVX538's LAN to another LAN.

I think I plugged into the wrong port choosing one of the LAN
ports instead of the DMZ port, but maybe I didn't.  It seems
that the DMZ is only intended for hosts which possibly serve
the Internet that cannot go through NAT.  A downside of the
DMZ on the FVX 538 is that networking between LAN and DMZ is
blocked.

How does dynamic dns work?  Does the DHCP server send a MAC/IP
address pair?  This is the information I need to assign the
same name to the same computer regardless of the IP assignment
if I write a program to generate the zone files.

Can the FVX 538 support assigning static routes to other private
networks via one of the statically configured hosts on the LAN
segment?

I've tried google, but my situation doesn't seem to be covered.