[PLUG] resolve.conf file

Daniel Johnson teknotus at gmail.com
Mon Dec 28 03:45:07 UTC 2009

On Sun, Dec 27, 2009 at 2:36 PM, Denis Heidtmann
<denis.heidtmann at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks for all the information and advice.  Unfortunately, Carlos'
> comment about dsl modems applies in my situation: an Actiontec modem
> from Qwest.  So attempts to change its dhcp behavior will not bear
> fruit.  My use of resolvconf is a sensible solution to a
> less-than-perfect state of affairs.  Mike's suggestions seem a better
> solution, and I will study those, but until then, resolvconf is my
> ticket to functioning.  (To settle the question of what this modem
> can/cannot do, from Actiontec I received: "The PK5000 itself is NOT a
> DNS server or redirection device. There is no programming in fact to
> do a DNS redirection internally. It cannot do that at all.")

I had one of those modems, and as I remember it the problem has
something to do with it trying to support ip6, and failing.  Turning
off ip6 support in linux was one solution.  A work around that I used
was just installing bind on my computer, setting resolve.conf to use
127.0.0.1 as my name server, and hard setting the DHCP client to not
use the DNS servers it got.  Though I think I had some problems with
roaming and needing to use the DNS servers at work that resolved names
local to the office.  If I was setting it up again today I would
probably make wpa_supplicant use a mapping to use different network
settings depending on what network it connected to.