[PLUG] A Question About Locales/Languages

Mark Phillips mark at phillipsmarketing.biz
Tue Dec 29 04:09:08 UTC 2009

One of my daughter's has a Mac and it has a neat feature that allows her to
switch languages for her keyboard so she can type in Spanish in openoffice.
When she switches to Spanish, a nice keyboard map appears on the screen so
she can see where the special characters are located (i.e. the n-tilde is
right next to the L key). This does not switch all the menus etc to Spanish.
It just switches the keyboard to a Spanish keyboard. The display of the
Spanish keyboard on the screen is really important.

Is there a way to configure Debian so there is a little country flag in the
tool bar so I can switch my keyboard from English to German and get a small
keyboard map for the German keys?

Thanks!

Mark