[PLUG] Troubleshooting DHCP...

Galen Seitz galens at seitzassoc.com
Thu Dec 31 01:58:29 UTC 2009

Patrick J. Timlick wrote:
> I think 10Mbit ethernet requires 2pairs, 100mbit requires 4 pairs, perhaps
> you broke a pair or two during installation.
>
> See http://www.derose.net/steve/guides/wiring/#phone .
>
> I used this guide to run reliable 10Mbit Ethernet and an analog phone line
> through 8 pair Cat 3 buried under a driveway.  My run is only about 50 feet,
> however.

10BASE-T and 100BASE-TX only require 2 pairs.  There was a version of
100Mbit that required 4 pairs(100BASE-T4), but I believe it is
obsolete.  Anyone still using 100BASE-T4 would almost certainly be
aware of that fact.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethernet_over_twisted_pair
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fast_Ethernet#100BASE-T4

Gigabit ethernet(1000BASE-T) requires 4 pairs.

--
Galen Seitz
galens at seitzassoc.com