[PLUG] Linux and driver blues...

Mike Connors mconnors1 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 31 08:33:45 UTC 2009

Michael Robinson wrote:
> On the ReactOS forums, it has been suggested that
> Linux lacks a coherent driver model so that every driver has to be
> ported every time a new kernel comes out.  Is this true?  It has been
> suggested that Linux doesn't do well with proprietary drivers from one
> kernel to the next.

First, let me just say that I am as ignorant as anyone about the Linux
Device Driver Model. So I
Googled and read this post
[http://www.linuxfoundation.org/collaborate/publications/linux-driver-model#Linux_Device_Driver_Model]
on the Linux Foundation web site. I would encourage you as well as the
people on the ReactOS forums to
read it as well with the goal of being able to have intelligent and
useful conversations regarding it...

Some key points:
"Linux today supports more hardware devices than any other operating
system in the history of the world. It does this using a development
model significantly different from the familiar Windows device driver
model."

"The Linux driver model is different from the Windows model many IHVs
are used to. But it is a consistent and compelling approach, and has
been successful at supporting nearly the entire universe of computer
hardware. Moreover, the vast majority of all IHVs have adapted to Linux
and have thriving businesses that work with the Linux driver development
model."

I've personally run into a driver issues with my ATI video card and
Intel 3495 Wi-Fi chipset. Yes, it can be frustrating to have to compile
drivers from source or go read threads and install different drivers, or
try different hacks. I don't connect a lot of peripherals such as
digital cameras, cell phones, iPod, PDA's, and such to my Linux laptop.
I'm sure if I did there's a good chance I might be a bit more frustrated
w. the lack of driver support for these types of consumer electronics
devices.