[PLUG] Xubuntu Upgrade

Bruce KIlpatrick bakilpatrick at verizon.net
Sun Feb 1 20:12:43 UTC 2009

Rich Shepard wrote:
>    My reading of the Xubuntu web site is that all the steps for a debian-type
> release upgrade are done out of sight by the GUI. That is, for the installed
> 7.04 distribution there is no need to manually find the 8.10 repositories
> then run the sequence of 'apt-get update,' 'apt-get upgrade,' 'apt-get
> dist-upgrade.' Have I read this correctly?
>
>    If I have, is is also correct that the upgrade can be done in the
> background? Or, is it better to have no user activity during the process.
>
> TIA,
>
> Rich

Rich,

Let me try to answer this...

In my experience, upgrading has not gone well.  It usually leaves
different things broken.  I have taken to using a /home partition and
installing the newer version (do not put a check mark in the format box
of /home).  That said, others have used the upgrade process with no flaws.

I would do the upgrade/install when she didn't need the computer for
several hours in case you need to do some tweaking on the box.  It can
probably be done in the background as you have suggested, up until the
time for a computer restart for the new kernel.  You are correct on the
use of the GUI.  It will find the proper repositories and do it's thing
in the background.  I have never tried doing an install/upgrade while
using the computer for something else.

Keep us posted...inquiring minds want to know...

Bruce