[PLUG] Troubleshooting Slow Laptop -- Update

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Mon Feb 2 04:49:31 UTC 2009

On Sun, 1 Feb 2009, Michael Ewan wrote:

> If Xubuntu doesn't fix your memory consumption issues, then try one of the
> extremely small Linux distros like DSL (Damn Small Linux) or Knoppix.  DSL
> has a 50MB install image and still includes a browser.

Michael,

   Xfce has always been light on resources. I can turn off all the applets
that aren't used. I don't want to start with another distribution because
she's used to this one (after running Slackware on the ThinkPad) and that's
enough change for a while. When I learn how to migrate her bookmarks from
Firefox to SeaMonkey, and her mail files, too, that's a good start. About
the only applications she uses are the MUA, Web browser, a writing tool
(AbiWord currently), and jpilot. That and the wm should fit comfortably in
256M of RAM.