[PLUG] Default programs

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Mon Feb 2 22:21:35 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2 Feb 2009 12:43:53 -0800
Matt McKenzie <lnxknight at gmail.com> dijo:

> Are you using Ubuntu (GNOME) or Kubuntu (KDE)?
> If it is GNOME then try this.
>
> Open the file manager (Nautilus), go to any document of the type you
> want to change (.doc), right click on it.
> Go down to Properties.  In the new window that opens, there should be
> a tab along the top that says "Open With".  In there it should have
> listed the currently registered applications that can open that type
> of document.  Just pick the one you want and close the window.

I am using Gnome, Intrepid x86_64. However, I have already done that
and it makes the choice stick only for the document that is selected.
Opening any other document of the same type (e.g., .odt) causes it to
open in OOo 2.4.1.

And the most annoying part is when someone sends me a .doc file in an
e-mail (web-based) or I find one on a website. There seems to be no way
to tell Firefox that it should use 3.0.

Part of the problem is that 2.4.1 came with Intrepid, and I installed
3.0 with the .deb file downloaded from OOo. You can just add the 3.0
repository in Synaptic and install 3.0 that way, but if you do it will
overwrite 2.4.1. The advantage is that if you let it overwrite 2.4.1
you will get all the launch buttons and Gnome integration. That is what
I am missing. I need to create the integration manually, but I can't
figure out how. Somewhere there must be a config file of some sort.

> Is there a particular reason you need both OOo 2.4.1 and OOo 3?  OOo 3
> should be backwards compatible with 2.4.1.

Because 3.0 is not terribly stable on Intrepid x86_64. And I utterly
depend on OOo for school. I am not ready to commit to 3.0 completely.