[PLUG] Convert LVM partition(s)?

Galen Seitz galens at seitzassoc.com
Tue Feb 3 01:03:36 UTC 2009

Roderick A. Anderson wrote:
> It's a really long and embarrassing story so I'll cut to the chase.
>
> Is there anyway to convert a drive that was part of a LVM Group to a
> simple partition?

If you mean you want access it without using LVM, the answer is
probably no.

> I have two SATA drives that were part of a LVM Group that I'm hoping to
> pull the data off of.  I have a SATA to USB adapter and can see the
> drive but mount doesn't work as it wants me to specify the partition
> type.  Auto doesn't work.
>
>     fdisk -l /dev/sda
>
> reports Linux LVM.

Do you know how the logical volumes were laid out?  Do you have a
backup of the LVM metadata?  On a Redhat system this is stored under
/etc/lvm.  I think the rescue CD is your best bet.  I suggest you
review the LVM HOWTO and subscribe to the LVM mailing list.  People on
the list may be able to help you recover your data.