[PLUG] Convert LVM partition(s)?

Roderick A. Anderson raanders at cyber-office.net
Tue Feb 3 01:10:58 UTC 2009

Galen Seitz wrote:
> Roderick A. Anderson wrote:
>> It's a really long and embarrassing story so I'll cut to the chase.
>>
>> Is there anyway to convert a drive that was part of a LVM Group to a
>> simple partition?
>
> If you mean you want access it without using LVM, the answer is
> probably no.

My thoughts too so I finally gave up on that idea and built the system.

>> I have two SATA drives that were part of a LVM Group that I'm hoping to
>> pull the data off of.  I have a SATA to USB adapter and can see the
>> drive but mount doesn't work as it wants me to specify the partition
>> type.  Auto doesn't work.
>>
>>     fdisk -l /dev/sda
>>
>> reports Linux LVM.
>
> Do you know how the logical volumes were laid out?  Do you have a
> backup of the LVM metadata?  On a Redhat system this is stored under
> /etc/lvm.  I think the rescue CD is your best bet.  I suggest you
> review the LVM HOWTO and subscribe to the LVM mailing list.  People on
> the list may be able to help you recover your data.

Well it was a disaster case.  No preparation on my part at all ... so no
I don't know any of this but ... I found a page that explained how to
get to the data using the rescue mode and it is working.

     http://www.techbytes.ca/techbyte118.html

Never had to do too much with LVM before as it has always just worked
out of the box.  Time to do the research.

Thanks,
Rod