[PLUG] Saving terminal commands

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Wed Feb 4 17:10:36 UTC 2009

I'm more a GUI kinda guy, but there are certain commands that I use
repeatedly in the terminal. For example, I use cdparanoia and lame to
rip and encode CDs from my collection. But sometimes I don't use those
commands for several months. I have the commands saved in an OOo Writer
document, and I can use the arrow keys to go back in the terminal
window, but there must be a faster way. After several months of not
using a command the arrow keys require 40-50 strokes to get back to the
command I want. And launching OOo and copying and pasting from it into
the terminal is also time consuming.

I note that the Gnome terminal allows me to open new tabs, and I do
that a lot when working on something. It would be really nice if I
could save a tab that has the specific commands for a particular
activity. Maybe there is a better terminal than the Gnome terminal?
Maybe there are some other commands besides the arrows that I could
use? I'm looking for suggestions.