[PLUG] Saving terminal commands

Heath Morrison heath at doublemarked.com
Wed Feb 4 17:17:24 UTC 2009

I'm going to assume that you're using bash.

You can hit Ctrl-R to search backwards through your command history.
This certainly is much more reasonable than hitting the up arrow 40-50
times, but it won't allow you to access commands that have fallen off
the back of your log.

You can also create command aliases, and place them in your ~/.bashrc
file. This will give you much quicker access to commands. The format
for aliases are as follows:

  alias some_name='your command here -param1 -param2 -etc'

For example,

  alias grep='grep --color=auto'

You can view all your current aliases by typing 'alias' with no parameters.

-Heath