[PLUG] Saving terminal commands

Michael michael at jamhome.us
Wed Feb 4 20:33:33 UTC 2009

John Jason Jordan wrote:
> I'm more a GUI kinda guy, but there are certain commands that I use
> repeatedly in the terminal. For example, I use cdparanoia and lame to
> rip and encode CDs from my collection.

Parphrasing Satayana, those who forget history are condemned to repeat it.

For a simple answer to your question, use the history command.

Show all the commands stored in your history:
  history

Pipe it to less because it will all scroll by too fast
history | less

just look at the times you used lame
history | grep lame

ditto wrt paranoia
history | grep cdparanoia

You can just cut and paste to a new command line to repeat.  You'll also see
that history prints a number before each command, for example
  575  gvim
  576  mkdir s1
  577  cd s1
  578  scp system1:/opt/application/net*rc* .
  579  cd ..
  580  diff cct/nethealthrc.sh s1/nethealthrc.sh
  581  diff cct/nethealthrc.sh s1/nethealthrc.sh | less
  582  cd cct
  583  scp *usr testbox:/var/tmp

You can type !<number> to repeat the command referenced by <number>
in my example if I canted to launch gvim again I could do so by typing !575

Having said that Jamie's suggestion to install grip to automate the whole rip
thing is to be considered.  If you're a KDE person K3B is a great CD/DVD rip,
copy and more application. I find K3B to be more useful than grip, though I've
used and like both.

--
     Michael Rasmussen
   http://www.jamhome.us/