[PLUG] aspell Question

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Thu Feb 5 01:12:55 UTC 2009

   A new quirk showed up today: when I use my default editor (joe) in a
terminal to create a .txt file and try to check the spelling I see:
          Error: No word lists can be found for the language "en_US".

   Not only has this not occurred before now, but joe is also the default
editor in my MUA (alpine), and it happily checks the spelling of messages
before I send them.

   Is the LANG locale variable incorrect (e.g., should it be "C"?) Why might
a word list be found in the MUA but not in a terminal when both use the same
editor?

Puzzled,