[PLUG] Saving terminal commands

Michael michael at jamhome.us
Thu Feb 5 15:39:27 UTC 2009

Chris Daniel wrote:
>> Is there a way to make it just give me the command but not run it?
>
> Ctrl+r will bring up history search. Start typing, and bash will match
> the latest command that contains the string you have typed, as you
> type. It doesn't match from the beginning, but other than that.

asumming a history that includes:

 482 less /long/path/to/some/other_file
 502 less /long/path/to/some/viewed_file

and has no other less commands.

My irritation with ctrl+r is as I type command 502 comes up, I know it's not
what I want, since I'm thinking of other_file.  What can one do to skip the
current match and go to the next?

I abandoned ctrl+r and started grepping history because of this PITA.

--
     Michael Rasmussen
   http://www.jamhome.us/