[PLUG] Removing a storage media icon from the desktop

Richard C. Steffens rsteff at comcast.net
Fri Feb 6 04:18:31 UTC 2009

Matt McKenzie wrote:
> It looks like a "hanging chad" type situation, a link to the media is
> left hanging since it was not properly removed.
> Have you checked in the Desktop folder, going through the browser, or
> in a terminal, to /home/$USER/Desktop, tried removing the icon as sudo
> or root?

Oddly, none of the media icons are in /home/rsteff/Desktop.

> You might try to restart the hal-daemon or hal service:
> /etc/init.d/[hal_whateveritscalled] restart

There is a directory /etc/init.d/hal but this is what happens when I try
to restart it:

rsteff at moonguide:~$ sudo etc/init.d/hal restart
[sudo] password for rsteff:
sudo: etc/init.d/hal: command not found
rsteff at moonguide:~$

There are some directories under hal, but they are mostly empty.

> Or you could try the Winders way and just reboot.  That should clean
> out the temporary link on the desktop.

"disk". Trying to "unmount" it, I get an error message that says:

    /sbin/umount.hal: /media/disk is not recognized by hal

I assume that told me where to look, so I tried to delete the empty
directory:

rsteff at moonguide:/media$ sudo rm -rf disk
rm: cannot remove directory `disk': Device or resource busy
rsteff at moonguide:/media$

How do I find out what's keeping "disk" busy and tell it let it go?

--
Regards,

Dick Steffens
www.dicksteffens.com