[PLUG] PC speaker volume

Tony Rick tonyr42 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 7 02:41:56 UTC 2009

On Fri, Feb 6, 2009 at 4:15 PM, chris (fool) mccraw <gently at gmail.com>wrote:

> just whatever came with the system is in there--my audio comes out of
> the front panel ports as well as the chassis-mounted (not
> card-mounted) ports in the rear.  i didn't purchase the system, but i
> seem to recall many dells having more than one audio card option?

I don't know from more than one audio controller.  If there were such, I
would hope
that BIOS would know about it.   I convinced myself that the sound card
reported
by amixer is the right one (AD1984 codec seems to be right).  However, the
spec
says SigmaTel STAC9200 codec.  All of my amixer info indicates SigmaTel
awareness, and yours does not.   AD1984 codec support seems to have arrived
in the kernel about 2.6.23,
http://kernelnewbies.org/Linux_2_6_23
and my interpretation (possibly flawed) is that pcspkr
volume control didn't get there until 2.6.26 (link in previous post).  Even
farther
asea now, I have no idea at this point what might be done about this.

- tony