[PLUG] Storing SATA Drives

Quentin Hartman qhartman at gmail.com
Mon Feb 9 18:47:03 UTC 2009

I don't know of anything off the shelf that is exactly what you are
looking for. My first thought though is to go browsing around at Ikea
and finding something inexpensive that can be hacked into a good
solution. Probably should hit the scratch-and-dent room first. As far
as the briefcase goes, I would think a Pelican case of appropriate
size with the cut-suit foam padding inside would work nicely, assuming
you kept the drives in static bags.

My typical solution loose drive storage is to use the plastic
clamshells that OEM drives often ship in. Seagate calls then
"Sea-shells". They stack nicely and protect the drives pretty well
from minor bumps and whatnot. Another thing I use are silicone sleeves
similar to these:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817998030

Again, they stack nicely, protect from bumps, and have the added bonus
of preventing the drives from sliding around and the drive can remain
"protected" when using a USB adapter with it.

Neither of those are quite what you seem to be looking for, but they
might work in a pinch.