[PLUG] Afters at Roots

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Tue Feb 10 16:41:55 UTC 2009

On Mon, Feb 09, 2009 at 10:23:41PM -0800, Tony Rick wrote:
> I met Sarah (Event Coordinator) at Roots this evening and got a little more
> detail.
>
> Seating consists of 12 chairs, one sofa, and 5 or 6 picnic tables.
> That's it.
>
> Wall sockets are available but limited to the bare wall that Keith
> mentioned a projector screen possibility.  Sarah said we could connect
> power strips if we wanted to.  Using a standalone screen on the stage
> would require a substantial extension cord to get to a projector.
>
> There is a separate door to the street, which is usually locked.  First
> person in could unlock it, and we would need to lock up at some point.
>
> No charge for use of the space, but we would need to cover staff cost
> if we wanted wait service.  In such case the menu is
> 'reduced' to those items easiest to prepare, so as not to overload the
> kitchen.   Otherwise we need to be 'self-sufficient'.
>
> Minors are allowed until 9pm.  I must have read the notice wrong.
>
> I had her pencil in Wednesdays for March 18 and April 15.

Tony - I'm copying this to the list.  Good questions and answers.
Thanks for checking up on this.

This all sounds good.  The space needs development, and we can help.
Perhaps there are folks in the group with chairs to get rid of -
downsizing from foreclosed houses or closed businesses, but hopefully
for happier reasons.  We can help build the space.

We use extension cords at Jax now;   that doesn't change.  The cool
thing is that there is space to bring stuff in.  Next time I'm
there in daylight, we learn how many amps the room can supply;
enough for servers and LAN parties?  I wonder what businesses were
there before Roots, and how much power they took?

People can go to the bar to order food.   We can watch out for each
other.

However, if some programmer is feeling frisky, perhaps we can set
up a computer and display and printer in the kitchen, and a web app
running someplace for displaying the menu and taking orders, which
we access with laptops over the wifi.  Then we can enter our orders
over the web (perhaps even a day before, so they can buy materials)
and they can just load orders on a roller cart.  One of us is selected
(perhaps randomly by the web app) to go get the roller cart and bring
it back to the room, distribute the food, and take the cart back for
more.  We can reduce the burden on them as much as necessary, and
perhaps develop a new open source app while we are at it.

Keith