[PLUG] Bash history and shell_sink (ATTN: JJJ)

Michael M. Moore michael at writemoore.net
Wed Feb 11 22:30:36 UTC 2009

On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 10:44 AM, John Jason Jordan <johnxj at comcast.net> wrote:

> OK, I get it now. I didn't realize that it stored your bash history on the net.
>
> So what if the problem I am trying to fix is that my nework isn't working?

Uh ... internet cafe?  :-)

I don't think that's a problem it can solve, though you can pull
commands off the server:

"Using tags to pull: The shellsink-client application normally just
pushes your commands out to the server, but it can also pull commands
from the server and put them into your history file. If you issue

shellsink-client -pt gloop

"The most recent 20 commands tagged with gloop will be pulled into
your bash history file. This is especially useful for making all the
commands for a particular task immediately available in your history
file."

Still, you would have to have done that *before* your network went down.

I think the main benefit is for people using multiple machines at
different locations, like if you were at PSU on one of their machines
or on your laptop, and you wanted to see the history from your desktop
at home, this would be one way you could do that easily.  Or if you
can't remember what machine you were using when you did this-or-that
command-line fu, this would be a place where you could find it.

But it does mean entrusting your bash history to Google, which could
have security implications.

Michael M.

--
"Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within
limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add