[PLUG] Slow Page Loading in SeaMonkey

Matt McKenzie lnxknight at gmail.com
Mon Feb 16 06:43:35 UTC 2009

On Sun, Feb 15, 2009 at 5:12 PM, Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com>wrote:

>   I'd like to understand the factors that might affect web page loading
> speed on the laptop here. It's connected wirelessly to the local network,
> but I can ping external web sites and get a very quick response time while
> page from that same site can take minutes to load.
>
>   Could this be related to the 256M of RAM? Is there some other factor that
> could be affecting the speed? Sometimes all pages load very quickly, other
> times excessively slowly. At these slow loading times, I don't see the same
> time delay when loading pages on my workstation here.
>
>   Any insights on what factors might be involved will help me determine if
> can get it to consistently quickly load pages.
>
> Rich
>
> --
> Richard B. Shepard, Ph.D.               |  Integrity            Credibility
> Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc.        |            Innovation
> <http://www.appl-ecosys.com>     Voice: 503-667-4517      Fax:
> 503-667-8863

As others have stated, upgrading the RAM will definitely help.

Also a ping to a webserver tells you nothing about how long it will take to
load a full web page, especially if it is loaded with javascript, flash,
etc.

What distro are you running, and have you tried any other browsers?

At any rate a RAM upgrade, if your laptop supports more, is definitely a
good way to go.