[PLUG] HAL vs /etc/fstab

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Wed Feb 18 18:37:24 UTC 2009

   I'm trying to understand what's going on here. With /dev/cdrom included in
/etc/fstab trying to mount the drive fails because it cannot find any media
in the tray. It's there, of course. If I comment out the /dev/cdrom line and
let HAL mount it, I'm told that the drive doesn't exist in fstab or mtab so
it cannot be mounted.

   But, if I su to root and issue 'mount /dev/hdd /mnt/cdrom' it works.

   What the HAL is going on? It won't automount with HAL, and it will no
longer allow me as a peon user to mount the drive.

   The cdrw drive behaves, by the way.

Puzzled,