[PLUG] HAL vs /etc/fstab

ckonstanski at pippiandcarlos.com ckonstanski at pippiandcarlos.com
Wed Feb 18 18:59:08 UTC 2009

>    I'm trying to understand what's going on here. With /dev/cdrom included
> in
> /etc/fstab trying to mount the drive fails because it cannot find any
> media
> in the tray. It's there, of course. If I comment out the /dev/cdrom line
> and
> let HAL mount it, I'm told that the drive doesn't exist in fstab or mtab
> so
> it cannot be mounted.
>
>    But, if I su to root and issue 'mount /dev/hdd /mnt/cdrom' it works.
>
>    What the HAL is going on? It won't automount with HAL, and it will no
> longer allow me as a peon user to mount the drive.
>
>    The cdrw drive behaves, by the way.
>
> Puzzled,
>
> Rich

One little to watch out for: if you issue a command like "mount
/dev/cdrom", you are using fstab to determine mounting options (including
the mount point and mount command options).  If you type "mount /dev/cdrom
/mnt/cdrom", you are bypassing fstab.  Since mount does not need to look
at fstab to figure out missing information, it won't.

If the /dev/cdrom symlink turns out to be valid, maybe try mounting as a
normal user with the former method, thereby forcing a peek into the fstab
file.  That's how you are going to pick up the ro,noauto,user,exec flags.

I noticed a hal update on my gentoo box this morning.  Did you do a recent
update?  Could the behavior of hal have changed?  I saw a message saying
that you have to be a member of the plugdev group.  Might be worth looking
into.

How does pmount behave?

Carlos