[PLUG] More weirdness (printing)

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Sat Feb 21 02:18:31 UTC 2009

On Fri, 20 Feb 2009 16:24:21 -0800 (PST)
Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com> dijo:

>    Ahhh! This looks just like the problem I had printing from SQL-Ledger, and
> no other application. Try two things:
>
>    1) In /etc/cups/client.conf specify
>  	CUPS_SERVER=localhost
>
>    b) As a user, 'export CUPS_SERVER=localhost' (without the quotes, of
> course. You can also put that line in ~/.bash_profile.

I don't seem to have an /etc/cups/client.conf file. I do have a
cupsd.conf file there, however.

I did use the CUPS_SERVER=localhost command, but it didn't help. Still
couldn't get Adobe Reader to print to the 7400DN (or any other printer).

> > And why is an Adobe product using Ghostscript, eh? And pdftops? Too
> > cheap to write their own software?
>
>    No. Gs provides pdftops, and the printers work with PostScript.

I don't understand this. The printer in question has genuine Adobe PS
Level 3, plus some version or another of PCL, and (I thought) the new
Adobe PDF print engine. Does Adobe Reader not provide its own image to
the printer?

However, the above questions are idle curiosity. At the moment I have
the problem resolved with a workaround. I closed Adobe Reader and
opened the PDF in Okular. Okular was just thrilled to send it to the
printer and the printer was so happy to have a file to print that it
output all five copies that I wanted without a complaint.