[PLUG] Problems with resume on X61 tablet (ubuntu)

Bill Barry barryb at proaxis.com
Wed Feb 25 19:39:20 UTC 2009

On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 11:27 AM, Eric Wilhelm
<scratchcomputing at gmail.com>wrote:

> # from Rogan Creswick
> # on Wednesday 25 February 2009 10:16:
>
> >Now, without fail, the tablet will not wake up fully.
>
> Now?  As in, starting now?  Nothing changed except the behavior?
>
> >The only environmental difference I know of is that there is no wifi
> >at work (so I've tried disabling networking before leaving home, and
> >I've tried letting the system sit at work with it's black screen to
> >see if it's waiting for a network time out.  Nothing happens until the
> >battery dies.)
>
> I've often had better stability and responsiveness if the network is off
> and the wifi driver is unloaded before suspend.  Recent Debian seem to
> get that automatically, but perhaps I've tweaked something and
> forgotten it.

To get the wifi module to suspend and resume correctly in Debian I had to
create a file
 /etc/pm/config.d/wireless
which consists of a single line
SUSPEND_MODULES="ndiswrapper"

I don't think this will fix the black screen problem though.  I had a
problem with a black screen on resume with an HP Pavilion dv6000z. There
were many suggested fixes I found, but the only thing that really fixed it
was upgrading to a 64 bit system with a 64 bit kernel. This cured all my
suspend/resume problems except the wifi which was solved with the pm tweak
above. 64 bit may have not been necessary, probably just a newer kernel
would have solved the problem, but I did both switches at once.

Bill