[PLUG] wifi security

drew wymore drew.wymore at gmail.com
Wed Feb 25 22:21:54 UTC 2009

On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 9:30 AM, Ted Kubaska <tedkubaska at comcast.net> wrote:

> I find myself spending a bunch of time in coffee houses with wifi. I'm
> curious about the security. Most of the time I don't care. If someone
> wants to read my email, they're welcome to it. But what about a credit
> card purchase? I have not done it, but what if I bought something over
> the Internet using my credit card and the wifi at Bella Espresso or
> Jax? Would I be foolish to do that?
>  -ted

All the protocol security issues/certs etc have already been brought up in
the thread which are all very valid and good points. What might consider
given the situation with everything involved between SSL certs for the
sites, open AP's and such is just purchase a reloadable credit card for web
purchases so that it someone does capture the information then you're not
going to end up having to deal with the problems associated with credit
reporting agencies or someone draining your bank account etc.

Or perhaps get an account with freeshell.org or some other provider that
would allow you to run a proxy process so that you can use an ssh tunnel for
your browsing activity while out in the wild.

Drew-